- This is the basis for many recipes. Try this to make your own, "cream of" soups base in recipes.
Serves/Makes:2 1/4 cups
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 ml) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 2 cups (475 ml) hot milk or 1 cup (225 ml) hot chicken stock
- In a skillet or deep heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion together, but do not brown.
- Stir in flour and remove pan from the burner.
- Add salt and hot milk or hot stock and continue to stir until the sauce is smooth.
- Return to the heat, stirring constantly until sauce comes to a boil.
- Add mushrooms, artichokes, or whatever you like. It is excellent as a layer in lasagna, and served over roasted meats, it is so foundational to so many recipes, it should be called, "the perfect sauce".