- Refreshingly light and cool, not to mention, highly flavorful, this dessert will look and taste like you slaved all day. A great make-ahead recipe!
- S. Chokel
- 1 egg white
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) plus 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) instant coffee
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) almond extract
- 8 maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) toasted, slivered almonds
- In a small bowl, beat egg white at medium speed until foamy. Gradually add 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar and beat at high speed until stiff peaks form.
- Add the cream, the 1/4 cup (60 ml) of sugar, instant coffee, vanilla and almond extracts, beating until it is stiff and well blended.
- Fold in 1/3 cup (80 ml) of the almonds.
- Spoon high into eight 2-1/2 inch paper baking cups in a muffin tin.
- Sprinkle tops with remaining almonds.
- Freeze until firm.
- Garnish each dessert with a cherry.
- Serve with small pretty cookies for a pretty presentation.
- (To toast almonds, place in a heavy skillet on a medium heat until they are lightly browned).
- A great recipe to make the day before! Do not double recipe, rather make separate batches. You can freeze them, then wrap them well and they will stay in freezer for up to a month, and be taken out as needed for desserts or a special treat.