- Quick and easy! An authentic taste of down-home Carolina Cuisine for your family's meal! Great dish to bring to pot-lucks or serve on buffet tables!
- S. Chokel
- 1 cup (225 ml) bacon, uncooked and diced
- 1 small onion, minced
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) canned whole tomatoes, hand crushed and broken-up
- 1 cup (225 ml) uncooked long grain white rice
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 2 cups (475 ml) raw shrimp, peeled and deveined
- grated parmesan cheese
- Grease an ovenproof casserole dish, and set it aside.
- In a heavy bottomed large skillet, fry the diced bacon until it is crisp, and save the fat, remove the bacon, and set it aside.
- Add the minced onion to the bacon fat until it is beginning to turn limp, but not browned.
- Then, add the tomatoes, rice, salt, and pepper to the onion. Place on very low simmering heat for about 30 minutes, until the rice cooks.
- Then, remove the skillet from the heat, stir in the raw shrimp and the cooked bacon and blend them in.
- Next, turn the shrimp and rice mixture into the casserole dish and place in a 350 degree (175 C.) oven for about 15 to 20 minutes, until the shrimp are cooked.
- Serve with a good quality grated parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
- Hint: This is delicious with 1/2 cup of finely chopped green pepper added-in with the onion if you like the added flavor of peppers. Also, my family likes this with generous drops of red pepper sauce added to the tomatoes.