- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) to 1 tsp (5 ml) ground red pepper
- 1 14-1/2 oz (406 grm). can chicken broth
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped fresh chives
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). cooked, peeled crawfish tails (or shrimp)
- hot cooked rice
- Melt the butter in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion, celery, green pepper, garlic, and shallots; saute 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add flour, salt, and red pepper; cook, stirring constantly, until caramel colored (about 10 minutes).
- Add the chicken broth, parsley, and chives cook and keep stirring constantly for about 5 minutes or until thickened and bubbley.
- Stir in crawfish (or shrimp); cooking for another 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated and the crawfish or shrimp are cooked through.
- Serve with hot cooked rice.