- Excellent recipe to take to potlucks or summer picnics! Try it with cold chicken or use it stuffed into pita pockets or stuffed into a fresh baguette!
- S. Chokel
- 1 lb (.5 kg). fresh button mushrooms
- 2 tsp (10 ml) minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/8 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried oregano, crushed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, pressed
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped green olives
- 1 tsp (5 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive or vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) white wine vinegar
- Wash and dry mushrooms, slice thinly through the stems.
- In a large saucepan, combine the mushrooms with 2 cups (475 ml) of water and bring to a boil, then immediately reduce the heat to a simmer for 5 minutes, or until tender. Drain well, (reserve liquid for soups or other recipes if you'd like).
- Then, place the mushrooms in a large bowl, and add to the bowl, the parsley, salt, pepper, oregano, onion, garlic, green olives, sugar, oil, and vinegar, and blend everything together.
- Store the mushroom mixture in a tightly sealed container and refrigerate for at least 4 to 6 hours so it becomes thoroughly chilled and the flavors blend, overnight is best.
- This recipe doubles and triples easily.
- Note: If you you'd like, use all sorts of your favorite mushrooms, as long as you have at least a pound of whatever combination you use.
Hint: I like to add about 1 to 2 teaspoons of fresh lemon juice and some lemon zest to this salad for a extra summery touch!