- This risotto is a wonderfully flavorful!
- Arizona Tart
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil, divided use
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small poblano chile pepper, finely chopped
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, in 1-inch chunks
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) red pepper flakes, or to taste
- 1 cup (225 ml) uncooked rice, (Arborio or Italian rice is best, or a short grain rice, long grain rice will not work)
- 3-1/2 cups (825 ml) chicken broth
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). can evaporated milk, or 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) half and half cream
- 1 4 oz (112 grm). can mushroom pieces, drained
- In a large saucepan, heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) of oil over a medium heat, and add the onion and the chile pepper. Stir it frequently and cook for about for 2 minutes. (Don't brown it, just until they are limp and beginning to be cooked),
- Add the chicken, black pepper and red pepper flakes to the saucepan and continue to stir frequently, cooking until the chicken is lightly browned and no longer pink. Remove chicken mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same saucepan, heat the remaining 1 tbsp (15 ml) of oil over medium heat, then, add the rice and stir to coat it well and give it a slight toasting, don't brown it, sort of "beige" it.
- Heat the broth in a saucepan until it is hot and simmering. Add it to the rice a ladle or two at a time, stirring constantly, (this is actually how you make risotto.. you want to cook the rice slowly and it naturally becomes creamy and delicious, it is important to take the time, add the broth slowly and stir constantly, about 15-20 minutes total time. It is extremely important that you make sure each addition of broth is absorbed before adding the next ladle of it, until the broth is used up).
- Once the broth is gone, add the evaporated milk or cream, (Heat until it is warm, but not boiling, not more than simmering) the same way you added the broth, a ladle at a time, letting the rice absorbing it until there is no longer any milk or cream remaining. The process will take between 25 to 35 minutes. When the rice is soft, add the chicken mixture to the creamy rice.
- This recipe is "stirring" intensive, but the rewards are delicious. It doubles easily and I recommend that you double the recipe as the leftovers are fabulous!
If you've never tried making risotto, try this recipe! It is fun.. and if you have kids who like to help stir.. boy, is this THE recipe to let them stir their little arms off!