Spicy Toasted Irish Cheddar
- Ray Welsh
Serves/Makes:4, as an appetizer
- 1 medium French baguette
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). mature Irish cheddar
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). Colmans English mustard (any hot mustard will do)
- 1 clove garlic
- cayenne pepper
- 1 egg
- Mix the cheddar, English mustard, egg, salt and pepper (to taste).
- Slice baguette in two (length ways) and lightly toast the bread; allow to cool.
- Rub the garlic liberally over the toasted bread.
- Spread the cheese mix liberally over the bread.
- Sprinkle Cayenne pepper to taste over the cheese mixture.
- Place under a hot grill and cook until the cheese is melted and starting to brown.
- Excellent as an appetizer or for a quick lunch when served with a mixed salad.