Serves/Makes:1 lb. or more
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1/4 chopped walnuts
- 12 oz (336 grm) chocolate chips
- Combine sugar, salt, water and butter.
- Cook to light-crack stage (285 degrees (150 C.) on a candy thermometer).
- Add chopped walnuts and pour into a well buttered cookie sheet.
- Melt 6 oz (168 grm). of chocolate chips.
- Spread on top.
- Turn toffee.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate chips and spread on the other side of toffee.
- When chocolate has cooled, break toffee into pieces.
- For variation press chopped or sliced almonds or other nuts into chocolate coating on toffee before it cools (substituting the same nuts for the walnuts in the toffee itself).