- Hamburger Pie (perfect with left over mashed potatoes)
- Robin Bassham... an inherited dish
Serves/Makes:4 or more servings
- 1 lb (.5 kg). ground chuck
- 1 cup (225 ml) cream of mushroom soup (divided in half)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fine bread crumbs
- salt and pepper, to taste
- mashed potatoes (previously made, leftovers)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) shredded cheese
- Mix ground chuck, 1/2 can of soup, onion, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper.
- Place and pat down mixture into a pie pan or iron skillet.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for about 25 minutes.
- Drain grease into empty can.
- Place warm mashed potatoes on the hamburger and add the other 1/2 of the mushroom soup on top of the potatoes.
- Generously sprinkle cheese over entire dish.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- This has been a favorite of mine since I was a small child. Mashed potatoes have always been my favorite food, so they were made often in my household. My mom always seemed to make enough potatoes so that she could make two hamburger pies a few days later. . . Talk about comfort food!!!