Baked Wheat Germ Eggplant (Low Fat)
- Eggplant with a crispy crust
- 1 fresh, smooth and shiny eggplant of any size
- 1 or 2 egg whites
- 1 cup (225 ml) (or more) wheat germ
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) to 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cooking spray
- sliced tomato, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick spray.
- Wash the eggplant; cut off the top and bottom ends. Do not peel.
- Beat the eggwhites and put into a bowl.
- Put the wheatgerm on a flat dish.
- Slice the eggplant into thin slices.
- Sprinkle eggplant with salt, put into a colander for about 15 minutes to let drain off the bitter juices.
- Rinse off the salt and pat dry with paper towels.
- Dip each slice into the egg whites then into the wheatgerm.
- Sprinkle each piece with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Places slices on cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes.
- Note: Sometimes I put a thin slice of tomato on top and sprinkle with cheese.