Bean and/or Beef Burritos
- Trader Vic's book of Mexican Cooking
- 8 white flour tortillas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) oil
- 4 cups (950 ml) canned refried beans
- 1/4 head lettuce, shredded
- 1 large tomato, peeled and sliced
- 1 avocado, peeled and sliced
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded cheese, Montery Jack or cheddar
- taco sauce
- sour cream, optional
- Place tortillas in ovenproof dish, sprinkle with a tsp of water; cover and heat for 10 minutes in a preheated 300 degree (150 C.) oven.
- Saute onion in oil, add beans and heat through.
- Put a large spoonful of beans in the center of each torilla,
- Top with lettuce, tomato and avocaco slices, green onions, cheese and taco sauce.
- Fold the tortilla over the filling, at sides and ends, to enclose the filling completely.
- Put burritos in a baking pan and heat in a preheated 350 degree (175 C.) oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve immediately.
- This is a simple receipe and quite good. If you don't like avocado, leave it out. If you would like some meat, put a little grilled chicken (shredded) or shredded leftover roast beef. I usually top these with sour cream.