- A Mexican pastry
- vegetable oil
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) flour
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 3 eggs
- confectioners sugar or cinanamon-sugar mixture
- Heat 1 1/2 inches of oil to 375 degrees (200 C.) in a 4 quarts (3775 ml) Dutch oven or deep saucepan.
- Heat water and butter to a rolling boil in a saucepan. Remove from heat:
- Quickly stir in flour and salt, stir vigorously over low heat until mixture forms a ball.
- Remove from heat, beat in eggs, one at a time, until smooth and glossy.
- Spoon mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Squeeze 5 inch strips of dough into hot oil.
- Cook, turning frequently, until deep golden brown, drain.
- Sprinkle generously with confectioner's sugar or cinnamon-sugar mixture.
- Serve warm.
- Makes 24 Churros