Homemade Frozen Custard / Ice Cream
- Low Carb Dessert--not an actual Atkins Recipe!
Serves/Makes:1 full Ice Cream Freezer
- 9 egg yolks
- 2-1/2 quarts (2375 ml) to 3 quarts (2850 ml) heavy whipping cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) vanilla
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk
- Optional: low carb fruits for topping such as strawberries, rasberries or blueberries
- Beat eggs with a mixer.
- Take 1 cup (225 ml) of the cream, heat in microwave until hot, 160 degrees (70 C.).
- Add beaten egg yolks to the cream and heat the mixture again. The trick is to make sure it's heated to 160 degrees (70 C.) without cooking the yolks. (If you have pasteurized eggs, you don't have to do this step! This is to make sure the eggs are 'safe')
- Add more of the cream, condensed milk and vanilla; whip with a mixer.
- Pour into ice cream freezer and add cream to the fill line.
- Freeze as directed on ice cream freezer.
- 1/2 cup serving contains 5.5 grams of carbs compared to commercial ice cream which usually has 16-20 grams per 1/2 cup.
Very rich and delicious! Worth the 5.5 grams to splurge and eat it!