Tomato Sauce from Scratch
- This is a FROZEN Tomato Sauce that is Delicious!!
- 20 large, fresh tomatoes
- 4 large carrots, shredded
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) sugar
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) pepper
- 1 to 4 large onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) parsley (optional)
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) salt
- Wash, peel and core 20 large tomatoes; cut into chunks.
- (If you've never done this with tomatoes, simply put them into a kettle of hot water for a minute or two. Remove them to a sink of ice water. Cool slightly and the peel will come right off by hand.)
- Place chunks of tomatoes into a large kettle with chopped onions, carrots, parsley, sugar, salt and pepper.
- Bring slowly to a boil, stirring often.
- Lower heat and simmer 30 to 45 minutes. (The sauce will really thicken up when you blend it in the next step. It will look pretty runny at this point.)
- Cool slightly, then measure small amounts into blender or food processor. Cover and whirl on high till smooth.
- Measure and place in freezer containers or bags and freeze.
- Perfect for chili, stew or Swiss steak.
- This is the best sauce! I use only one onion since my family doesn't like it to be too oniony. Use them to taste. This is like a vegetable V-8 sauce almost! Homemade chili, stew and swiss steak taste delicious with this sauce! I freeze in freezer bags according to how much my family will use for a meal. They will stay good in freezer for a year. I've even had some for more than a year and they were good.