- Sauce for pasta, soups, etc.
- 4 large cooking onions
- 5 or more cloves garlic, smashed then peeled
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 100 oz (2800 grm). canned plum tomatoes
- 4 tbsp (60 ml). brandy or vodka
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). black pepper
- 1 tsp (5 ml). sea salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped fresh basil, or 1/2 c basil pesto
- 1 cup (225 ml) stock, any will do, turkey, chicken, vegetable, V8.
- Coarsely chop onions and garlic add to a food processor, pulsing until they are a fine chop.
- Heat oil in a deep stock-pot; add onions and garlic, sweat until they are translucent.
- Add parsley, salt and pepper; continue cooking a few minutes stirring often to prevent browning.
- Add brandy or vodka.
- Chop the tomatoes in the can to break them up; add to pot.
- Bring to a brisk boil, stirring often for about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat and cover to simmer for 25 minute.
- Use a hand mixer, the stick with blades to puree to whole thing.
- Yield 4 litres, 16 cups of delicious all purpose tomato sauce for pasta, soups etc. This sauce freezes very well.