- a very tasty recipe for anyone who loves tomatoes
- 4 whole large tomatoes
- 1 medium zuchinni or yellow squash, grated or chopped
- 1 lb (.5 kg). mozzerella cheese, grated
- Italian-style croutons
- bacon bits, optional
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Cut tomatoes into halves.
- Scoop out insides and place the scrapings into a bowl.
- Lightly salt tomato shells and place upside down on paper towel to drain
- Take bowl with tomato scrapings and make sure there are no overlarge pieces of tomatoes... if you find some just cut them into smaller peices.
- Add grated mozzerella cheese, zuchinni ( or squash ) and bacon bits.. Mix well
- Add Italian-style croutons, mix well.
- Scoop stuffing mixture into tomato shells place in baking pan and bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for approximately 25 to 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and tomatoes are heated through.
- You'll notice that there are no exact amounts listed. I find that once I memorize a recipe I just go by the appearance and taste. Most times you'll find you'll have more stuffing left over after filling the tomatoes. You can freeze it in an airtight container. Or what I'll do is take the left over stuffing mix and make stuffed zuchinni.
*** Also, don't be afraid to add things to the recipe. I love adding new things to old recipes and making them my own. The bacon bits were something I added. I love it. I find it just helps to give the recipe a little zing. Enjoy!!