Artichoke and Olive Crostini
- Johann and SusanM
- 12 (1/2-inch-thick) slices from a long Italian loaf (3 inches wide)
- 3-1/2 tbsp (50 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 6-1/2 oz (182 grm). jars marinated artichoke hearts, drained, rinsed well, and patted dry
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) heavy cream
- 6 tbsp (90 ml) chopped pitted green olives (1/2 cup)
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) finely chopped red onion
- Preheat broiler.
- Arrange bread slices in 1 layer on a baking sheet and brush tops with 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) oil (total).
- Broil 4 to 6 inches from heat until golden on top, about 30 seconds.
- Turn toasts over and broil until golden, about 30 seconds more.
- Transfer toasts to a rack to cool.
- Pulse artichokes with cream in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir together olives, onion, and 1/2 tbsp (7 ml) oil in a small bowl.
- Spread toasts evenly with artichoke cream and top with olive mixture.
- Drizzle with remaining 1-1/2 tbsp (20 ml) oil just before serving.
- As a shortcut (and so that the toasts wouldn't get soggy waiting for guests to arrive) I mix the ingredients and serve the toasts on the side (without the extra drizzle of oil). Also eliminate the brushing of toasts with oil.