Curry Chicken with Coconut Milk
- Vicky Bryant
- 1 chicken, cut into chunks
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chili powder
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) curry powder
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) paprika
- 1 tsp (5 ml). cumin
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 white onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) cilantro, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb (.5 kg). sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1 cup (225 ml) coconut milk
- 3 cups (700 ml) water
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in big pot and saut onion and garlic until onion is slightly caramelized.
- The onion gets nice and sweet when you let it brown a little (This should take about 5 to 7 minutes).
- Add chicken chunks and continue cooking for about 3 minutes.
- Add all remaining spices and stir for a few minutes.
- Let this mixture cook until chicken is tender.
- Add the rest of the ingredients; adjust any seasonings necessary. (This is where I always add more cilantro, curry, and cumin.)
- I serve this dish with spiced rice which is also posted for you. This has to be my favorite dish and it makes the house smell WONDERFUL!