- Vicky Bryant
Serves/Makes:as much as needed
- Basmati Rice - as much as needed
- sticks of cinnamon
- whole cloves
- 1 whole onion, diced
- oil and butter
- golden raisins
- Rinse rice 3 to 4 times.
- Melt butter and a little oil in the pot you re cooking the rice in.
- Once onion is tender add uncooked rice and stir to coat and brown just a bit.
- Add cinnamon (I buy the cinnamon found in the bags in the Mexican section of the grocery store they are cheaper but still flavorful).
- Add the whole cloves.
- Add appropriate amount of water, put lid on, and cook for the recommended time WITHOUT removing lid.
- Once done remove lid (test for doneness though), remove whole cloves and sticks of cinnamon.
- Stir in golden raisins and let sit for about 10 minutes.
- You can also put whole cloves in several little cheesecloth purses and place them in the rice in different areas to distribute flavor. I just bite the bullet though and toss them into the rice then pick them out.
I usually make enough rice for 8 people and use 1 very large white onion and put about 10 whole cloves in and 3 - 4 sticks of cinnamon and about 1 cup golden raisins.