- Yummie for kids of all ages!
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 2 cups (475 ml) uncooked rice
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). to 17 oz (476 grm). can crushed pineapple, reserve drained liquid
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). to 17 oz (476 grm). can fruit cocktail
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped maraschino cherries
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 3 cups (700 ml) or more miniature marshmallows
- 3 cups (700 ml) cool whip
- 1 cup (225 ml) or more sour cream
- In large saucepan, combine cooked rice, 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) to 2 cups (475 ml) water, reserved pineapple juice, and 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt.
- Stir to moisten rice, bring quickly to boil; reduce heat to bare simmer, cover; simmer 10 minutes. (I use a rice maker for perfect rice texture, and it's easier and quicker. If you don't have a rice cooker, they are only about 12 to 15 dollars, now might be the perfect time to buy one for perfect rice every single time!).
- Remove from heat; let stand 10 minutes.
- Then, add the pineapple, fruit cocktail, and lemon juice; cool.
- Then, stir in the marshmallows, followed by folding in the sour cream, then the whipped cream or cool whip.
- Adjust your "thickness".. add more cool whip or sour cream to taste and texture.
- The last step is to add the cherries. Fold them in and dot a few on top for looks if you like. If you add the cherries sooner, they will turn the whole salad pinkish.
- Chill for at least 4 hours before serving so the flavors set and the rice absorbs a little bit of the "juices".
- You can serve this in a big pretty bowl, in individual serving cups or layered with fresh fruit in a large or individual parfait or trifle bowls. Also a great treat to put into paper or foil cupcake liners for children's snacks and lunches.
Hint: Omit the sour cream, substitute somewhat softened vanilla ice cream, or use all Cool Whip, and fill about 2/3 to 3/4th full into 12 paper cupcake liners and freeze for a wonderful.. (and somewhat nutritious?) frozen snack for kids.