- Taco filling
- Matt Aggleton
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg). ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 green bell peppers, diced
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 2 cans whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can dark red kidney beans, drained
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 packages Old El Paso Taco Seasoning
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). corn starch (or more)
- basil, fresh or dried
- garlic powder
- crushed red pepper
- chili powder
- water, as needed
- (serving suggestions below)
- Place beef into large pot with garlic, basil, crushed red pepper, oregano, and chili powder to taste (approx. a healthy sprinkling of each).
- Brown and drain beef and set aside.
- Place diced onion and peppers into pot, cook uncovered on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- Add all other ingredients, including beef, to the pot.
- Add water up to just under the level of the mixture.
- Cook on medium heat uncovered for about 20 minutes or until sauce thickens. If sauce isn't thickening, add more corn starch.
- Serve in taco shells or tortilla wraps or even just with a plate of nachos. Use salsa, cheese, lettuce, tomato, and sour cream as toppings.
Works great as leftovers or if cooked a day or two early. Sauce thickens up even more then refrigerated.
My own recipe, with suggestions from my brother. Enjoy!