- Old Family Recipe
Serves/Makes:2 9 inch layers
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) self rising flour
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vinegar
- 2 bottles red food coloring
- Cream cheese icing:
- 1 box powdered sugar
- 1 stick butter
- 1 8 oz (224 grm). package cream cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) chopped nuts optional
- Beat eggs, add sugar and cream together then beat in oil and vinegar.
- Sift flour and add alternately to misture with buttermilk. Add vanilla and feed coloring.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.
- Cool and ice.
- Cream sugar, butter, and cream cheese together
- Add nuts and ice cooled cake.