- A no-bake Christmas treat
- Esther Kelley's daughter
- 1 cup (225 ml) fine, dry cookie crumbs (Mom used ginger snaps)
- 1 cup (225 ml) sifted confectioner's sugar
- 2 tbsp (30 ml). cocoa (use only if you substitute vanilla wafers for ginger snaps)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). ground ginger
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely chopped pecans
- 2 tsp (10 ml). corn syrup OR molasses
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dark rum
- Additional confectioner's sugar and/or crushed pecans for rolling the balls in.
- Combine the first 6 ingredients. Mix well. Stir in the syrup or molasses and rum. Shape into 1 inch balls with hands dusted with confectioner's sugar. roll balls in sifted confectioner's sugar &/or crushed pecans. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Combine the first six ingredients.
- Mix well.
- Stir in the syrup or molasses and the rum.
- Shape into 1 inch balls with hands dusted with onfectioner's sugar.
- Roll balls in confectioner's sugar or crushed pecans. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Brandy Balls:
- Replace the rum in the above recipe with 1/4 cup (60 ml) brandy and replace the ginger snaps with vanilla wafers.
- Follow the same instructions.
- My mother has been gone for several years but we make these every Christmas. Her family came from Finland and it was a tradition with them.