Wild Rice and Mushroom Casserole
- Side Dish
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) butter
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) wild rice, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) brown rice
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) chopped onion
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). mushrooms, sliced
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) pine nuts
- 2 cups (475 ml) broth, chicken or vegetable
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees (175 C.).
- In a large ovenproof skillet, melt the butter.
- Saute the rices, onion, mushrooms and pine nuts over medium heat until the onion and mushrooms are soft.
- Pour the broth over the rice mixture and cover tightly.
- Bake 1 1/2 hours or until rice is tender.
- This dish works well as a vegetarian dish when vegetable broth is used.
It also works well as a side dish for meats and poultry.
It's a quick dish to put together and reheats well.