- This gives extra flavour to dove, quail, pheasant, wild turkey, and other fowl. Adjust ingredients to taste or to compliment what you're cooking.
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) pickling spice, crushed in a mortar and pestle or spice mill
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) coarsely-ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) salt
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp (10 ml) white pepper
- 2 tsp (10 ml) dry mustard
- 2 tsp (10 ml) powdered ginger
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cayenne
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ground nutmeg
- 6 to 8 juniper berries, crushed in a mortar and pestle or spice mill
- Stir all the ingredients together in a small bowl.
- Store the rub in a tightly closed jar.
- It keeps indefinitely but loses its potency over time.