Roast Quail Stuffed with Foie Gras
- 4 quail, boned
- Salt and pepper
- pate de foie gras (enough to stuff quail, about 2 oz (56 grm). each)
- 4 slices bacon
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) minced shallot
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) Armagnac
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) veal or chicken stock
- 2 tsp (10 ml) to 3 tsp (15 ml) arrowroot dissolved in water
- Fresh chervil for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Season quail, stuff with foie gras and wrap with bacon.
- In oven proof saute pan heat 2 tbsp (30 ml) of the butter over moderate heat until hot.
- Add quail and cook until golden on all sides.
- Transfer to oven and roast 15 minutes.
- Transfer quail to a serving dish.
- Discard all but 2 tbsp (30 ml) fat from pan.
- Add shallot and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- Deglaze pan with Armagnac, scraping up brown bits clinging to bottom of pan.
- Add veal stock and reduce to 1 cup (225 ml).
- Add enough arrowroot to lightly thicken sauce.
- Whisk in remaining butter.
- Pour juices from platter containing quail into sauce and stir to combine.