Hazelnut Rum Brownie Cookies
- 1-1/4 cups (300 ml) all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 tsp (7 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) ground hazelnuts
- 12 oz (336 grm). fine-quality bittersweet chocolate (not unsweetened)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) dark rum
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) powdered sugar (approx.) for sprinkling cookies
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add hazelnuts and set aside.
- In a metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water, melt chocolate and butter, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat, stir in rum; let mixture cool.
- Whisk in eggs.
- Stir in flour mixture.
- Cover and chill in fridge for 1 hour.
- Place half the dough on a sheet of wax paper.
- Form into a 10-inch log, using paper as a size guide and to roll it up in.
- Repeat with 2nd half.
- Chill logs wrapped in wax paper for 4 hours in fridge (will keep in fridge for 1 week).
- Can keep in freezer for 1 month, but thaw in fridge 4 hours before slicing).
- At time of baking:
- Thaw in fridge for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.) and lightly butter or spray baking sheet.
- Cut logs into 1/2-inch-thick slices and place on baking sheet (cookies will hardly spread). Hint: butter or spray the knife - cookies are gooey.
- Bake cookies in batches in middle of oven for 9 minutes.
- Remove from sheet and cool.
- Sprinkle heavily with powdered sugar.
- A great make-ahead cookie dough for quick and easy baking at the last minute! (Along with Coconut Classics on this site.)