Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing
- Gourmet Oil & Vinegar Salad Dressing
Serves/Makes:1 1/3 c.
- 1 cup (225 ml) olive oil
- 1/3 cup (80 ml) balsamic or raspberry/wine vinegar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). garlic powder (or more, to taste)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) or 2 tsp (10 ml). dried basil leaves
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml). coarse ground black pepper
- 1 dash turmeric powder
- Several dashes red/cayenne pepper (optional)
- Couple dashes dried oregano leaves
- Put olive oil in a jar, preferably with lid.
- Add vinegar.
- Add spices and herbs.
- Shake or whisk well, until oil and vinegar emulsify.
- Serve over or toss with salads.
- Measurements are approximate. I just do it out of my head: I don't measure. You can adjust the vinegar to taste. Ditto the herbs and spices. And you can safely improvise (add or delete) items for subtle variation in flavor. I ALWAYS use olive oil (better for the body); but walnut oil, sesame oil, or flax oil are interesting and healthful substitutes. Play with the vinegars: there are so many different ones now in supermarkets. Rosemary garlic vinegar is great, for instance.