- Chicken flavored with lemons.
- Glamour Magazine
- 1 whole chicken - approx. 3 lbs (1.4 kg).
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Wash chicken inside and out with cold water, remove the giblets, then let the chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until reaches room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Pat dry with paper towls.
- Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (both inside and out).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity.
- Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan, lower heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn it breast-side up (use wooden spoons!); return it to oven for 35 minutes more.
- To make sure it's done, insert a meat thermometer in the thigh; it should read 180 degrees (80 C.), or juices should run clear when chicken is pierced with a fork.
- Continue baking if necessary.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving.
- Serve with juices.