Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1 whole chicken (approx. 3 lbs (1.4 kg).)
- 2 medium lemons
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) fresh lemon juice
- Kosher or sea salt
- Ground black pepper
- Place rack in upper third of oven and preheat to 400 degrees (200 C.).
- Remove giblets.
- Wash chicken inside and out with cold water.
- Let chicken drain, cavity down, in a colander until it reaches room temperature (about 15 minutes).
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- Pour lemon juice all over the chicken (inside and out).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Prick the whole lemons three times with a fork and place deep inside the cavity.
- Place the bird breast-side down on a rack in a roasting pan.
- Lower heat to 350 degrees (175 C.) and bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and turn bird breast-side up (use wooden spoons).
- Return it to the oven for 35 minutes more.
- To make sure it's done, insert a meat thermometer in the thigh; it should read 180 degrees (80 C.), or juices should run clear when pricked with a fork.
- Continue baking if necessary.
- Let chicken cool for a few minutes before carving.
- Serve with juices.
- Glamour Magazine's January "Menu of the Month" for Engagement Chicken has led to three marriage proposals (that they know of)and was such a smash that even Howard Stern's girlfriend tried it. Hope this is the recipe you're looking for.