Camarones A La Diabla Mexican Sauce
- Jo-Tina Baldoni
- 2 14.5 oz (406 grm). cans tomatoes (diced)
- 1 6 oz (168 grm). can tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) water (set aside 1/2 cup)
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) cilantro (leaves only, chopped fine)
- 1 tsp (5 ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) green peppers (diced)
- 1 medium jalapeno, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cumin
- 1 tsp (5 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) paprika
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt, to taste
- Combine all ingredients, except for the 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour sauce into a medium sauce pan and add remaining 1/2 cup (125 ml) of water.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer and allow to cook through for about 20 minutes.
- An excellent sauce for shrimp, tamales, enchiladas and Mexican chicken casseroles.