- A good main meal or a perfect side dish, anyway you have it, it's great
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). eggplant, peeled
- 5 tsp (25 ml) salt, divided
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2" thick
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks cerlery, sliced
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) parsley
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) dried basil
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) pepper
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) Italian bread crumbs
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) melted butter
- 1 cup (225 ml) shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cut egg plant into 1/2" thick slices; sprinkle both sides with 3 tsp (15 ml) salt.
- Place in a deep dish; cover and let stand for 30 minutes. Rinse with cold water, drain and dry on paper towels.
- Cut egg plant into 1/2" cubes; saute in oil til lightly browned.
- Add onions, garlic, and zucchini; cook 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, pepper and remaining salt; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; stir in Romano cheese.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top.
- Bake uncovered at 375 for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle with mozzerella.
- Bake 5 minutes longer.
- Prep time approx. 35 min. Cook time approx. 40 - 45 min.
Cal. 200, chol. 22 mg., carb.17.7 g.