- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) brown sugar, packed
- 2/3 cup (150 ml) oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (225 ml) buttermilk
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla
- 2-1/2 cups (600 ml) flour
- 2 cups (475 ml) diced rhubarb
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chopped nuts
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) soft butter
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) granulated sugar
- Combine brown sugar and oil in a bowl; stir well until smooth.
- Stir in egg, buttermilk, salt, baking soda, vanilla and flour; blend until moist.
- Fold in rhubarb and nuts.
- Turn batter into 2 greased and floured 8x4 inch loaf pans.
- Combine butter and granulated sugar until crumbly.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 50 to 55 minutes or until wood pick inserted in center comes out dry.
- Turn out onto racks.
- Cool well before slicing.