Kristen's Walnut Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Crisp and nutty
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) shortening
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) butter, softened
- 2 tsp (10 ml) vanilla
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2-3/4 cups (650 ml) flour, unsifted
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) soda
- 9 oz (252 grm). chocolate chips
- 2 cups (475 ml) walnuts, hand-broken into large pieces
- Cream shortening, butter, vanilla, and sugars.
- Add eggs and beat thoroughly.
- Add unsifted dry ingredients.
- Stir in chips and nuts.
- Put 1 1/2 inch balls of dough on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 10 minutes.
- Cut open a brown paper bag to cool cookies on (it absorbs some of the extra oils).
- When cool place in a tightly sealed container.
- This recipe was adapted especially for Kristen. She doesn't like too many chocolate chips so I bought the usual 12 oz. bag and saved part for another use. She also requested lots of walnuts! The original recipe said sifting the dry ingredients would help make the cookies soft. I was looking for a crispy, not cakey, cookie and got it!