Not Your Mother's Fruitcake
- BOILED then you bake
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 4 cups (950 ml) fruit cake mix
- 1 cup (225 ml) sugar
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) butter
- 2 cups (475 ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking soda
- 1 tsp (5 ml) spice mix (see below)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Spice mix:
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) cinnamon
- 1/8 cup (30 ml) ginger
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) nutmeg
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) cloves
- Combine ingredients for spice mix and place in zip-lock bag or sealed container for this and future uses.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees (150 C.).
- Grease 9 x 5 loaf pan, line with foil.
- Combine water, fruit mix, sugar, and butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and boil gently for about 10 minutes.
- Mix flour, baking soda, and 1 tsp (5 ml) spice mix in a large bowl.
- Pour boiled mixture and stir until blended.
- Mix in eggs.
- Pour into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 90 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for at least 10 minutes.
- It's that time of year again. Time for all the good stuff. Enjoy
Prep time 15 min. Cook time 90 min.