- Yogurt tenderizes the chicken while keeping it moist.
- Eating Well Cookbook
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) hot water
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) saffon threads
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 onion, very finely chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) harissa or 2 tsp (10 ml) hot sauce or 1/2 tsp (2 ml) cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) lemon juice
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) honey
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) ground cinnamon
- 8 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- Place hot water in a small bowl and crumble saffron threads over it; steep for 5 minutes.
- Combine yogurt, onion, garlic, harissa (or hot sauce or cayenne), lemon juice, honey, oil, salt, cumin and cinnamon in a shallow dish.
- Stir in the saffron water.
- Add drumsticks and coat well.
- Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 12 hours.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 450 degrees (225 C.).
- Line a baking sheet with foil and set an oiled rack on top.
- Place the drumsticks on the rack and bake until the chicken is golden brown on the outside and no longer pink in the center, about 30 minutes.
- Per serving: 241 calories, 9 g. fat, 82 mg. cholesterol, 13 g. carbohydrate; 27 g. protien; 1 g. fiber; 484 mg. sodium.
From The Essential Eating Well Cookbook, edited by Patsy Jamieson, The Countryman Press, copyright 2004 by Eating Well, Inc., publisher of Eating Well, The Magazine of Food and Health.
This cookbook has lots of tastey sounding recipes and a unique Healthy Weight-Loss Index that identifies which recipes fit into particular diet guidelines! Losing weight no longer means having to sacrifice fine dining.