- with tomato, cucumber and canned white beans
Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 1/2 loaf Italian or sourdough bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (about 4 cups (950 ml) total)
- best quality nonstick cooking spray
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) salt
- 1/4 tsp (1 ml) black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, diced
- 1 large cucumber, cubed
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) dried basil or equivalent amount of fresh
- 1 15 oz (420 grm). can cannellini or small white beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl and generously coat with the cooking spray; toss, coat again, then toss again.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden.
- In the same large bowl, combine the olive oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper; mix well.
- Add the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, basil and beans; toss to coat well.
- Add the bread cubes then toss gently.
- Can serve immediately but it is good after chilling for an hour, allowing bread to slightly absorb dressing.
- Adapted from a recipe from the Bean Education and Awareness Network