- 2 cups (475 ml) or more confectioner's sugar2 1/2 cup (125 ml) of finely
- 1 12 oz (336 grm). box vanilla wafers, crushed
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) finely chopped candied cherries, or well dried maraschino cherries
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) rum or bourbon
- chocolate or cocoa, optional (see notes)
- Into a large bowl, sift the 1 cup (225 ml) of confectioner's sugar.
- Mix in the nuts, cherries, corn syrup, and the rum.
- Scoop up about a tbsp or so of the mixture and form into 1-inch balls with your hands.
- Sprinkle about 1 cup (225 ml) confectioner's sugar on a plate and roll the balls in it to well coat.
- Store in a tightly sealing sort of tin or plastic container for at least 1 week, although two weeks is best, before eating, or giving them away.
- These cookies will mellow with age and will keep up to 1 month.
- If you want Chocolate Balls, add either 2 ounces of melted baker's chocolate or 2 tablespoons of cocoa to the mixture.
You can roll them in confectioner's sugar, and then afterwrds, carefully dip them into white melting chocolate or any other colored melting chocolate for a really nice touch.
These are good at Christmas or Valentine's Day.
If you don't like cherries, add some citron.