Serves/Makes:Serves 16: makes 1 gallon
- 1 lb (.5 kg). bacon, diced small
- 5 oz (140 grm). green onions, thinly sliced
- 8 oz (224 grm). all-purpose flour
- 4 quarts (3775 ml) hot water
- 4 oz (112 grm). ham base
- 1 oz (28 grm). chicken base
- 3 oz (84 grm). sugar
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 8 oz (224 grm). leeks, sliced tops and bottom
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) white vinegar
- 2 cups (475 ml) half & half
- Cook bacon in heavy pot until brown.
- Stir in green onions and saute 2 minutes.
- Add flour to bacon and onions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes; remove from heat.
- Add hot water, ham base, chicken base, sugar, potatoes, and leeks to the bacon mixture; heat to boiling.
- Boil for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes are tender.
- Add vinegar and mix well; cook for 2 minutes.
- Add half & half and simmer, stirring often.
- When heated through, serve hot with a garnish.
- Will keep 5 to 7 days in the refrigerator.
- Courtesy of Whitestone Country Inn Bed and Breakfast