Serves/Makes:1 batch - varies
- 2 cups (475 ml) cornstarch
- 1 cup (225 ml) granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 whole egg, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup (175 ml) unsalted butter (no substitutions)
- 2 oz (56 grm). coconut, freshly grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (200 C.).
- Lightly grease a baking or cookie sheet.
- Sift cornstarch, sugar, and salt together in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the lightly beaten egg and blend in the butter, incorporating the coconut as well, if desired.
- Knead well.
- Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
- To prepare traditionally shaped Biscoitos de Maizena, roll about a 1-inch ball in the palms of your freshly cleaned hands and drop each cookie onto the prepared cookie sheet.
- Using the tines of a fork, gently press the cookie flat with a criss-crossed pattern.
- You may elect to use a cookie press to drop your cookies on the prepared cookie sheet, also.
- Bake for about 8 to 10 minutes, depending on cookie size.
- Let cool and serve with a steaming cup of Brazilian coffee.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- In Brazil these are called Biscoitos De Maizena. Maizena means cornstarch.
Source: Recipe-a-Day (email@example.com)