Serves/Makes:3 cups plus
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) masa harina
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) flour
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) oil
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) chile powder
- 3 cups (700 ml) beef broth
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) comino (ground cumin seed)
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) oregano
- 1 shot tequila, optional
- Blend flour, masa and oil and make a roux.
- Add chile powder and spices and mix.
- Add broth slowly, mixing as you go to prevent lumps.
- Cook until thick. (You may add water if too thick; masa if it's too thin.)
- Simmer for 15 minutes keeping an eye on liquidity.
- Correct seasonings.