- from Emeril Live
- Martha Purdy
Serves/Makes:1 12 by 17-inch sheet cake
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) milk
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus 2 tsp (10 ml) butter
- 8 large eggs
- 2 cups (475 ml) plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) sugar
- 1 cup (225 ml) bleached all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) salt
- 1 tsp (5 ml) pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Heat the milk and 1 tbsp (15 ml) of the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Put the eggs and 2 cups (475 ml) of sugar in a large mixing bowl, and with an electric mixer fitted with a wire whisk beat on medium-high speed until the mixture is pale yellow, thick, and has tripled in volume, about 8 minutes.
- With the machine on low, beat in the warm milk mixture. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together in another large mixing bowl.
- Add the egg mixture and vanilla, fold to mix thoroughly so the mixture is smooth.
- Grease 12 by 17-inch baking sheet pan with the remaining butter.
- Sprinkle with the remaining 2 tbsp (30 ml) of sugar.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into the pan and bake until the cakes spring back when touched, about 15 minutes.
- Let cool for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle a piece of parchment paper with powdered sugar. Using a thin spatula or knife, loosen the edges of the cakes, then flip onto the paper.
- Cool completely.