- 10 Chinese black mushrooms
- 1/2 pound flank steak
- 4 tsp (20 ml) cornstarch
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) vegetable oil plus 2 tbsp (30 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp (5 ml) ginger root, crushed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) fresh garlic, crushed
- 1 cup (225 ml) bamboo shoots, drained, rinsed and cubed
- 1 tsp (5 ml) cooking wine
- 1 tsp (5 ml) dark soy sauce
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) chicken stock
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 scallion, shredded
- Place mushrooms in bowl; cover with 1 cup (225 ml) warm water, and soak for 10 minutes.
- Drain, discard tough stems and quarter the caps. Set aside.
- Trim all fat from meat, and slice in thin strips across the grain of the meat.
- Place in bowl.
- Mix 2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch with 4 tsp (20 ml) cold water; add to meat.
- Add egg white and stir to coat meat. Set aside.
- Mix remaining 2 tsp (10 ml) cornstarch with 4 tsp (20 ml) cold water; reserve.
- Heat a wok over high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add 1/2 cup (125 ml) oil and swirl around wok.
- Add 1/2 tsp (2 ml) each ginger and garlic and the beef mix; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Remove from wok, draining oil.
- Put 2 tbsp (30 ml) oil in wok and heat.
- Stir-fry remaining 1/2 tsp (2 ml) garlic and ginger until brown.
- Add reserved beef mix, bamboo shoots, mushrooms and wine. Stir-fry over high heat for 1 minute.
- Add soy sauce, chicken stock, salt and pepper.
- Thicken with reserved cornstarch mix, stirring gently.
- Pour into serving dish, and garnish with shredded scallion.
- Per Serving: 195 Cal (59% from Fat, 34% from Protein, 7% from Carb); 17 g Protein; 13 g Tot Fat; 3
g Carb; 0 g Fiber; 8 mg Calcium; 2 mg Iron; 145 mg Sodium; 38 mg Cholesterol