Mostaciolli With Fennel, Mint And Bread
- 6 tbsp (90 ml). virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 fennel bulbs
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) toasted breadcrumbs, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (225 ml) loosely-packed fresh mint leaves
- 3 to 4 tbsp (60 ml). extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 pkg. mostaciolli
- Bring 6 quarts (5675 ml) water to boil and add 2 tbsp (30 ml) salt.
- Remove tops from the fennel and save.
- Cut fennel into 1/4 inch batonette.
- In a 12 inch to 14 inch saute pan, heat olive oil until smoking.
- Add garlic and fennel and cook, stirring frequently, until light golden brown and quite soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) bread crumbs and crushed red pepper flakes and continue cooking 4 to 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions until
- just al dente and drain well.
- Pour hot pasta into pan, add mint and toss to
- mix well.
- Pour into warm serving dish, sprinkle with remaining breadcrumbs and reserved fennel tops.
- Drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and serve.