Cheese Grits with Artichoke Hearts and Bacon
- Great side dish with baked ham or . . . .
- 8 slices bacon
- 3 cups (700 ml) chicken broth
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 1 cup (225 ml) quick grits
- 1 cup (225 ml) grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) sour cream
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml). cayenne pepper (more or less, to taste)
- 1 14 oz (392 grm). can artichoke hearts, chopped, or use frozen cooked artichoke hearts
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Heat oven to 350 degrees (175 C.).
- Grease or spray with vegetable spray a 2-quart baking dish.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, fry bacon until crispy. Drain on paper towels; crumble.
- In a large saucepan, combine broth and water. Bring to a boil.
- Slowly stir in grits. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
- Remove grits from heat.
- Add the bacon and remaining ingredients; stir well.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees (175 C.) for 50 to 60 minutes, or until set.