Baked Mostaccioli Casserole
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 1-1/2 lbs (.7 kg) bulk Italian sausage
- 4 cups (950 ml) meatless spaghetti sauce, (marinara)
- 16 oz (448 grm) mostaccioli, cooked and drained
- 1 egg, beaten
- 15 oz (420 grm) ricotta cheese
- 12 oz (336 grm) shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup (225 ml) freshly grated Romano cheese
- fresh basil for garnish
- In a Dutch oven, brown sausage; drain.
- Stir in spaghetti sauce and mostaccioli, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine egg, ricotta and Mozzarella.
- In a 13x9x2 inch baking pan or 2-1/2 quarts (2375 ml) to 3 quarts (2850 ml) casserole, spread one-half of the mostaccioli mixture; layer cheese mixture over all; top with remaining mostaccioli mixture.
- Bake, covered, at 375 degrees (200 C.) for 40 minutes.
- Top with Romano cheese; bake 5 minutes more or until mixture is heated through.
- Garnish with fresh basil.
- Note: You can use 1/2 ground beef and 1/2 sausage.