Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 12 oz (336 grm). bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate
- 10 tbsp (150 ml) unsalted butter
- 8 egg yolks in a small bowl
- 8 egg whites in a large bowl, at room temperature
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) cognac
- 1 cup (225 ml) heavy cream
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) powdered sugar
- Place the chocolate and butter in the top of a double boiler on low heat.
- Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring constantly.
- Remove the chocolate from the heat, and gradually stir the mixture into the egg yolks, beating well.
- Let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using electric beaters, beat the egg whites until stiff. Stir the cognac into the chocolate and egg mixture, then gently fold this into the egg whites.
- There should be not white streaks visible.
- Pour mousse into 1 quart (950 ml) serving dish and refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, beat heavy cream with powdered sugar, and place small dollop of cream on chilled mousse.