Serves/Makes:4 or more
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-1/2 tsp (12.5 ml) chili powder
- 1 tsp (5 ml) salt
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) cinnamon
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) coriander
- 3/4 tsp (4 ml) cumin
- 1/2 tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) soy sauce or tamari
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28 oz (784 grm). can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup (225 ml) water
- 2 15 oz (420 grm). cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup (225 ml) corn kernels (frozen are fine)
- 3/4 lb (.3 kg). sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch chunks (roughly 1 large potato)
- Combine oil, chili powder, salt, cinnamon, coriander, cumin and red pepper flakes in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat.
- Heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly, until spices are fragrant.
- Add onion and soy sauce, and saute, stirring frequently, until onions are just translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well to combine.
- Heat until mixture reaches a strong simmer, about 5 minutes, then reduce to low, cover and let cook for 25 minutes, or until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Stir occasionally to ensure chili doesn't stick or burn.
- Serve hot.