Italian Braised Chicken with Olives
- Braised Chicken with olives, rosemary, and capers
- Vicky Bryant - recipe from Viansa Winery in Napa Valley
- 3-1/2 lbs (1.6 kg). chicken, cut up
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 gloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tsp (10 ml). fresh rosemary leaves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups (350 ml) dry white wine
- 1 large tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) pitted kalamata olives
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) capers, rinsed
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) minced Italian parsley
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry and set aside.
- In a large saute pan heat the olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the chicken skin side down and cook until golden brown (5-7 minutes).
- Turn chicken adding garlic and fresh rosemary and cook another 5-7 minutes until that side is golden brown.
- Remove the chicken.
- Add the wine and as it bubbles scrape any brown bits sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Turn heat to low, add tomato, cover and cook for about 35 minutes, turning the chicken occasionally (If too much liquid evaporates add more wine to prevent the chicken from sticking to the pan).
- Add olives and capers and let cook an additional 5 minutes, until chicken is very tender.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Transfer to warm platter and sprinkle with Italian parsley serve immediately.
- If you make extra sauce a pasta is a great accompaniment to this dish.