- Warm weather appetizer
Serves/Makes:8 or more
- 2 lbs (.9 kg). cooked deveined shrimp (previously frozen o.k.)
- 1/2 lb (.2 kg). artifical crab meat (real crab obviously o.k.)
- 1 whole tomato
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 jalapeno (cooked, raw or pickled: your choice)
- 1 white onion
- 1/4 bunch of cilanto (no stems)
- 1 tbsp (15 ml). salt
- 1 cup (225 ml) Clamato juice
- 1 dash Tapatio brand hot sauce
- 2 limes
- 1 Avocado (optional)
- Wash and shell the shrimp, drain well.
- Finely chop the shrimp and crab meat and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Finely chop all vegetables. I have found that the finer the better.
- Add all chopped vegetables to the shrimp and crab mixture in large bowl.
- Add 1 cup (225 ml) Clamato juice.
- Cut the limes in half and squeeze juice into mixture.
- Add salt.
- Add several shots of Tapatio hot sauce into the mixture.
- Stir and stir, mixing well.
- If you use the avocado chop and add just before serving and lightly stir.
- Refrigerate overnight for best results.
- We use the ready made tostada shells. You can scoop the ceviche onto the tostada shell, or you can break the tostada and dip. You need a really strong chip to dip, and we have found that the tostadas work best.
This is the best warm weather appetizer there is!
Make sure the beer is cold!